Monday, January 26, 2009

maryrambin:

Reader Rachel wrote me an email saying, “I don’t want to hate. But do you do go to LA just to workout?”“

Actually Rachel, yes! One of my favorite parts about visiting LA is my Equinox in WeHo. So, if I can, I go twice a day. Usually one class is spin (Keith, Colin, Eileen, Reilly) combined with abs (Keith or Colin), and the other is either sculpting or yoga (Kristen, Colin).

The reason this sounds strange is because most people see the gym as something they HAVE to do, not as a pleasurable experience. And when I’m in NYC or Houston, I agree with you. I go just to purge stress and stay fit. Not to mention the fact that most days I just don’t have the time or the energy after a long NYC day to move from the couch.

On the other hand, in LA, going to the gym is social and fun. The classes are super challenging, and my friends and I go together. It’s the closest thing I can get to team sports. We truly enjoy the intensity and chat about the obstacles we encountered afterwards. The reason I blog about the classes is for people in LA to be aware of what instructors are worth getting up at 7am to go see. (I hate motivating to get to the gym and then having a bad instructor.)

Coming to LA is so refreshing for me mentally. The weather brightens my spirits, old friends get together to catch up, the restaurants aren’t comparable to New York so eating healthy isn’t a challenge, I get to push my body to its physical limits, and I get more sleep.

US:

Oh, enough already. You’re beating a dead horse. Yes, it’s part of living a healthy lifestyle to be active. To work out, to eat well. But it’s just a normal part of life, not something to constantly talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment