Monday, January 26, 2009

An open letter to Tumblr...

I’m a little bit concerned. Let me start off by saying that I am a Tumblr lover. I have numerous Tumblr’s and have encouraged and recruited more than a few friends to join. That is why this is such a sad question for me to have to ask.

But what’s the real story with Tumblr’s getting suspended? More specifically, Reblogging Non Society and possibly now Web20Morons? Am I too in danger of getting my account suspended? Will my archives and all my writing completely disappear? What rights do I have over my content? Would you not send a warning first if someone was violating some rule? What rule would they be violating?

The buzz I’m getting is the Karp/Allison connection. But outside the gossiping frame of mind, that isn’t really smart business. Regardless of the snark we might be writing, this is an open place for people to write about whatever they want, not a high school hallway where you can snub those who talk trash about you. Is it for Tumblr to censor? I really hope that a company I have praised as forward thinking and innovative and WONDERFUL isn’t going to prove to be that way.

In the meantime, I’m going to start archiving somehow. Cut and paste, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment